A freight forwarding company may be termed as a transportation broker that is helpful in moving international freight and make it to reach the destination without any hassle. Thus the entities sending their goods to other distant places are saved from struggling for this process and are able to concentrate more on their business as regards product development, manufacturing and marketing. Candidly, freight forwarding is multi-tasking that covers the entire process of moving international freight to distant places around the globe.
Following are the usual tasks expected from such agents:
- Handling of logistics – The freight forwarder that you book is expected to handle all transportation logistics. As such he or she must be equipped with complete knowledge about all rules and regulations of different countries. Proper negotiation on their part is also a must. The task of freight forwarding involves each and every aspect of the logistics. The agent must have sound relations with his / her overseas counterparts, rail transport companies, air carriers and ocean freight carriers. The freight forwarding company that you book for sending the goods to other destinations must cover all aspects with regard to transportation from the loading point right to the delivery point. The foreign buyer or receiver should be able to receive the goods in safe and intact manners. Its total safety lies with the agent.
- Handling of paperwork – The agent or the company that is engaged by you for forwarding your freight should be able to handle all the paperwork related to the forwarding process. He or she must be able to communicate well with the banking institutions too that are also involved in this process. It includes commercial invoice and declaration of origin etc. Local documentation with regard to the destination country should also be completed by the agent.
- Freight quote – Each and every aspect with regard to quotation for the freight should be made known by the freight forwarder. Clients must be informed about the possible need of warehousing, freight class, insurance cover, taxes or tariffs, other needs like security of hazardous materials, payment to the Foreign Service Providers or other such issues. Approach different companies that may quote in different manners. It is wise to choose the most efficient company that quotes the minimum charges.
- Practical consultation – Competent and honest freight forwarders are expected to consult in friendly manners. They would be pleased to inform the clients about the possible risks and dangers associated with different world hot spots that are famous for trouble like the Somali pirates.
- Cost-effectiveness – The most suitable freight forwarder is expected to offer the clients the most economical ways for their goods to reach the destination. He or she can save thousands of dollars by suggesting the methods for feasible shipping, warehousing and insurance cover that is quite cheaper. The clients can be at great benefit in this regard.
Considering the above aspects goes a long way to enjoy peace of mind while booking goods through freight forwarders.